Thursday 31 May 2007

Baslow and Curbar edge

Another journey into the peak district and this time Curbar edge. This is easily accessed from Baslow and I intended to walk back along the valley bottom and explore the villages in a circular route. I had to get a train to Chesterfield and then a bus and as always it was full of OAP's getting their free rides which is great for them but worse for everyone else. At least I got a seat this time,just, but the bus was 20 minutes late for no reason at all.

The bus fortunately stops outside some public toilets in Baslow and then heading north it is very easy to get on the footpath up to the edges.
The scerany is excellent and the views better than I expected. Although the walk looks quite short on the map it took quite a while to come to the end of the footbath and reach the Longshaw estate.I had hoped to go through this all the way to Hathersage but with a train to catch it is always best to leave some extra time to get back.
This was my favourite rock formation and looked like it had been created purely for people to stand on and stare over the edge.I imagined tribal people from years gone by doing this as a dare for young men or to sacrifice themselves but I guess they would not have been that stupid!
The longshaw estate was full of wood ants which crawed over everything and reared up to spray you if you poked at them.I so wish I had of had time to cross the road and go further but time is never long enough.
The villages of Grindleford,Curbar and Frogatt were not particularly picturesque but there was a decent walk back along the river to Baslow again.

Baslow parish church.I went in and it was very peaceful and serene.Then after feeding some ducks on chocolate bourbons I took the again late bus back to Chesterfield and took a few pictures of the crooked spire before catching the train home.

No comments: