Thursday 7 June 2007

Church stretton and the Shropshire hills

It takes 3 trains and about 3 hours to reach Church Stretton from Leicester which is quite an ordeal especially as twice the 10.33 to Shrewbury from Birmingham New street has been cancelled for no apparent reason whatsoever.Last time I was on my way to Telford.This meant I had 1 hour less time there which put me off my schedule and intended route quite a bit.

This did however allow me some time in Shrewsbury before I caught the later train.The town does look interesting though and I will try and go back soon.
This is the statue of Charles Darwin outside the library.

And the castle which is now a regimental museum.
Church Stretton is a pleasant little town surrounded by hills.There is the long mynd(long mountain) on one side and Caer Caradoc the old iron age hill fort which is supposedly the place caratacus had his last stand against the Romans in AD51.

Caer caradoc
This is the most popular destination , Carding mill valley which has some fast flowing streams and a waterfall.


At the top of the valley it leads onto a flat plateau with footpaths leading south to the highest point of the long mynd ,Pole Bank at a height of 1693 feet and westwards leads to the Stiperstones .It is a bit easy to get lost here though so a map is recommended and also good visibility.
Looking back down the valley towards church stretton.

After descending back down the valley I walked towards the base of Caer Caradoc.This is the view looking back towards the long mynd and as you can see it was still very hazy with quite poor visibility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aha